Last 2 weeks ago I embarked on a journey to China for the first time! Sadly to say, it was the last time I would be travelling with my secondary school as a student.
Before I continue, I would just like to take this opportunity to thank my school, Crescent Girls' School, for providing innumerous opportunities to students, exposing them to different parts of the world. For me, it is a privilege to have gone to 2 countries (OUTSIDE OF ASEAN) during my secondary school life.
Feb 2014- India, Jaipur Internationalisation 9 days trip (Group of 15)
Objective: Being teachers at a free school, teaching the children basic life skills. Immersing into the traditional indian culture.
October 2015- Beijing Chinese Cultural Immersion Programme 5 days trip (Group of 17)
Objective: Immersing into the Chinese culture, visiting the historical sites of China. Learning the history about my country of origin:)
Taj Mahal in the evening - notice the birds flying in circles around the peak of the magnificent structure
Great Wall of China - autumn season
Photos taken by me.
Whenever I visit other countries, it leaves me heartaches and longings to be able to return once more... That's when I remembered those faces of children I met in India who barely have enough to eat, let alone new clothes/goods etc. Have they even been out of their own country? Are they even given the chance to know the existence of other countries? This is not pity. This is empathy. Travelling is a luxury, no doubt about that. Therefore I'm not going to complain not having enough time to explore more parts of Beijing, neither am I going to forget what I have learnt overseas.
God's creation sure is beautiful...This is basically the summary of my reflections from travelling these past 2 years. I hope that if any of you do travel, put aside some time to visit the poorer parts of the countries and render some help to the people. You know what makes a visit to a country meaningful? It is doing something that has groped your heart strong enough that it made you reflect. It is not the breathtaking view that you will remember most vividly, but the smile/ response you get after a kind deed in a foreign land is what will stay in you LONGER...longer than you imagine.
Of course objectives of a holiday is to relax and enjoy sceneries. But after you have touched(or maybe just simply tapped) someone's life, the strength of your memory on visiting that country becomes stronger. Overall you will tend to remember that entire holiday better!(I don't mean with the help of photos! I meant recalling in your head) Who doesn't want that?
:) All the best!
Cheers,
Nicole
No comments:
Post a Comment