As some of you may know, Singapore's tertiary education comprise of Polytechnic education and Junior College education, of which among the 2 you choose 1. 3 years ago, I was fixated on entering the Biomedical Science Course in Singapore Polytechnic(SP). Reason being I wanted to study in a more kinesthetic manner and have my learning engaged through attachments and internships. I also had the confidence that I would be able to do well in terms of my GPA and lacked the confidence of doing well in JC, enough to compete with students in Hwa Chong Institution and Raffles Institution. Since my dream is to study Dentistry, I would need either a near perfect GPA in poly or perfect 90 ranking points in JC. However, after I got my O Level results, I went to talk to the lecturers at SP. Hearing my doubts cleared by experts, I was inundated with thoughts.
Tips from a psychology lecturer:
1) Poly education is more for those who wish to enter the workforce after tertiary education, it does not do as much for those who want to enter university. (From my superficial understanding, the percentage of poly students entering university is indeed much less than JC students).
Tips from 2 biomedical science lecturers: (one during open house, one during course consultation session)
For university courses like Dentistry/Medicine
1) Even with internships and attachments as part of portfolio building in poly, it is difficult to secure a place in University.
2) It is not easy and no guarantee in getting a perfect GPA. (My understanding: I know this, but it sounded a lot more serious coming from the lecturer who has seen many batches of students go)
3) Go to JC if you want to try for Dentistry/ Medicine. (He said this despite knowing he is losing a potentially capable student. He said this solely for my own good, I was convinced)
I was in disbelief for 3 days. From the moment I received my O Level Results, I only looked for SP's biomedical science course to be on my Course Eligibility List below my results. Spirited I was when I saw "S98". Now, I am crushed. I never expected or even thought I would go to a JC. But I got over it and now I am enrolled in Anglo-Chinese JC. My decision-making process was not easy. Nonetheless, I submitted everything to God. And knowing that whatever I choose, he will lead me through, was very assuring.
Although I have heard that
- JC is tougher than the university.
- Chinese in JC is very time-consuming.
- Project Work is very time-consuming.
- JC has become so much tougher compared to our parents' and teachers' generation.
- Bell Curve in the A Levels is constructed for a more intelligent population than O Levels.
- There is no time for life in JC.
I am determined to get through it. IN God, I will put my trust. Here I would like to reiterate (to myself) that Dentistry is just a goal. Should God have a different plan in mind, I will gladly follow his'. After all, I live for him.
Recently, a senior shared a TEDed video to me called "How to make hard choices".
https://www.ted.com/talks/ruth_chang_how_to_make_hard_choices
Hopefully, this video speaks to many of you out there who are currently making difficult decisions.
What I learnt is that I can choose any path I want, and thereafter come up with reasons to support my choice.
Happy Good Friday!
Thank you, God, for sending Jesus to redeem us. There is indeed none like you.
Talk to yall again soon:)
-Nicole
No comments:
Post a Comment